Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Miscellaneous Musings

This is by far the weirdest September of my life (well, that I can remember). For the last 17 years of my life, this month has met new books, pens, and notebooks (I LOVE a fresh notebook). Since graduating I have realized that, if not for the weather, I could easily delude myself into thinking it was that carefree (superficially, at least) season until snow fell. If it weren't for sumac...and harvest...and ragweed...well, you know what I mean. I am trying to enjoy it while I can, as I'll be attending graduate school when Josh and I return to Africa, and after that I'll be chained to the school schedule of my children. Oh well, I find I enjoy structure, and when I don't have enough I feel as if I need to accomplish everything I have ever put off- always ultimately disappointing. Freedom, schmeedom ;)

On patience: I literally just said to my mother (in reference to unknown information) "Yeah, but I want it now." This does not bode well for my future, given I am moving to a region where it's not unheard of for somebody to be 3 hours late or to not return a call for weeks.

My husband works a crazy schedule- he usually works from 7am to 3:30pm, which isn't so bad until you add in the 1.5 hour commute each way (it was two hours from our former apartment). This means he typically wakes up at 5am and gets home at 5:30pm, and has to be to sleep within a few hours. Now, this is his normal schedule; when you work in the construction industry, you do the work while you've got it, and that has meant many late nights very little time to see each other (14 hr day + 3 hr commute= very little Josh & Nicky time). Now, here's the cool part- he's been working on a school, and they need to do a lot of work when class isn't in session, so he's been starting (and finishing) 3 hours early. That's right, he wakes up at 2 am, bless his heart. The kicker is that he likes it, because we are able to spend more time together (still haven't figured out how...)

0 comments:

Post a Comment