Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Prayer Cards

I have finished writing our support letters and addressing envelopes, and today I am working on completing the rest of our support packets so we can take them to the printer. This includes prayer cards, the cards that missionaries give out that people put on their fridge or in their Bible or wherever else they think they will see it often and remember to pray. Remember, in missions prayer is especially crucial, and can often mean the difference between life and death. Hopefully people will look at these often and remember to pray.

No pressure. I am simply trying to make these cards (because I am too cheap to buy them) that will be on dozens of refrigerators, and if they look horrible I'll be to blame. Okay, so I am not panicking that much yet, but I am definitely feeling the tyranny of freedom, part of Self-Determination Theory in Psychology. If you have any interest at all, I strongly recommend you click on the link and read the article, but the basic idea is that having too many choices can be as oppressive and disabling as not having enough. For example, let's say you want to buy some jam. There are literally dozens of varieties, and you must make multiple decisions- flavor, jam, jelly or preserves, seedless or seeded, what quantity, with sugar or sugarless, and so on. If there were only two kinds of jam, the decision would be much simpler.

So when it comes to prayer cards, I am trying to pick size, background color, layout, pictures, color or black-and-white, wording, font, font size, font color, etc., etc.

That's it for my ranting. Time to get back to work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment